Depending on where you live or what you need, your government will offer, for a limited time, double the rebates of up to $12,000 to upgrade you current heating system and reduce your current energy bill of up to 50%. PLUS you get air conditioning for FREE!
Save Money and Be Part of a Greener Future
The CleanBC plan was developed as a pathway to achieve the Province’s legislated climate targets of reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 40% by the year 2030. The government of Canada is partnering with BC Hydro, Fortis BC, and other municipalities in B.C to offer home renovation rebates to encourage energy-efficient upgrades. This will help you conserve electricity and save money!
If you’re constantly bogged down with high heating bills, and your home is using electric baseboards, furnaces, natural gas boilers or furnaces, or other fossil fuel heating systems this rebate program is for you.
1. Find out if you’re eligible
A) You must live in an eligible home:
The residence must be a single-family home, duplex, row home, townhouse (with its own utility meter), or mobile home on a permanent foundation.
Utility accounts in the name of a strata corporation are not eligible
B) The home must have a minimum of 12 months of consecutive utility billing history.
This requirement is regarding the utility billing history of the home itself. It does not have to be your personal utility billing history. If you recently purchased an existing home, as long as someone was occupying the home for 12 months before your renovations begin, the home will have 12 months of consecutive billing history.
Newly constructed homes are not eligible for the program
C) You must have a residential utility account with one of the following:
- FortisBC natural gas
- FortisBC Inc.
- BC Hydro
- City of New Westminster
- City of Penticton
- City of Grand Forks
- Nelson Hydro
- District of Summerland
- Pacific Northern Gas
D) Your home must be primarily heated with:
- Natural Gas or piped-propane supplied by FortisBC
- Natural Gas supplied by Pacific Northern Gas
- Electricity supplied by FortisBC, BC Hydro, or one of municipal utility mentioned at the top
- Oil or propane not supplied by FortisBC
- Wood or other solid fuels
- *** When the home is heated with electricity supplied by BC Hydro, the home must meet a minimum electricity consumption. Use the BC Hydro Home Renovation Rebate program eligibility tool to determine whether your home meets the minimum electricity consumption rates.
2. HOW TO APPLY
The rebate applicant must be the primary utility account holder. If the rebate applicant is not the account holder, the applicant registered property owner must fill out a utility account holder consent form.
1. For the Double the Rebate Offer you must register for a promo code by March 31, 2021. Once registered, you will receive a promo code by email. This promo code is unique to your home and cannot be used by someone else.
Note: Promo code registration is closed for homes currently heated by electricity and homes heated by natural gas who want to upgrade their furnace/boiler.
2. Purchase eligible equipment and have it installed and invoiced by a licensed contractor by March 31, 2021
3. Once your upgrades are installed, complete the online application. Enter your promo code in the “Promo code” field and upload all supporting documentation including copies of all receipts and invoices. See sample invoices. If you are converting from oil, propane, or natural gas to a heat pump, include proof of your oil, propane, or natural gas system removal, modification, or decommissioning.
Note: the promo code will not be applied until after the application has been reviewed and approved.